Monday, May 11, 2009

A Post About My Wife on Her 30th Birthday

Well, in case you haven’t guessed by the title of this post, this is Kevin writing not Jenny. I have decided to hijack her blog today, her 30th birthday. As I think on the number of years Jenny and I have been together, it floors me how quickly it has gone by. I was remembering this morning the day I met Jenny. As the memory has faded slightly in the last 12 years I still remember it quite well.

It was the first day of our first semester at The Master’s College when I first noticed her. I chose my seat in the back of the classroom as I had been doing since elementary school. I was always more comfortable back there & was rarely ever called on to answer questions. Jenny of course, who was on an academic scholarship, sat in the first or second row. As I noticed her, I knew I could never get to know her from the back of the classroom. She was definitely out of my league (and still is), but hey it was a Christian school and it’s not all about looks, right? So, my plan was to continue to inch my way to the front over the next few classes and let my smoothness work from there. Well, as providence would have it I wouldn’t even have to wait for the next class to meet her. My roommate Matt & I went to the computer lab the next day to check his e-mail. There were only 2 seats available and they happened to be right behind Jenny & her roommate Ali (Matt didn’t know that he was meeting his future wife as well when he met Ali). I kept going through my mind on what to say to introduce myself. She actually probably noticed me but only because I had just dyed my hair and it turned this nasty orange color after a bad reaction! I really wasn’t in to e-mail at the time and had yet to start an account. This was my perfect lead in. I asked Matt to help me and I spoke loud enough for Jenny to hear. She turned around & asked me if I wanted some help. SCORE! I didn’t even have to use some cheesy one liner (not that I had one prepared). You could say the rest is history, but not so fast. After talking about being in the same class together she asked if we could share books. Come to find out it wasn’t so much about getting to know me & study at the same time but rather a good way to save 75 bucks. Can you say frugal? Over time, after my orange hair grew back to its normal color & after Jenny had checked out all of her options, we started dating. Sometimes I miss those days where we didn’t do anything but hang out. About 1 ½ years later we were married.

After all of these years I am so thankful to the Lord that he has blessed me by giving me Jenny as my wife. She is still by far the person I’d rather do anything with. You know the question, “if you were deserted on an island, who would you want to be with”? Jenny is not only the person I would pick, but she is also the only person I could live with on that deserted island and not go crazy. I don’t know what I would do without her in my life. As I start to get stressed out she calm’s me down by just being herself. She knows when I want to talk & when I’d rather be quiet. She keeps every aspect of our home in order. Most importantly, she takes time with our awesome kids. She doesn’t just discipline, feed, change and bathe our kids; she takes every opportunity to teach them about our Lord.

I was coming in from our back office late one night last week. Jenny was busy finishing up the dishes after a typical long day. I stopped and watched her through the window for a couple of minutes and thanked God for her. For as beautiful as she was that first time I saw her, she is so much more so even now. I know she isn’t perfect but I know her heart. I know she loves me, I know she loves our children but even more so she loves our Great God. The growing love she has for Him allows her to in turn love me more, despite my faults. I hope we have many more years together and tonight I am so thankful for the time we have had. Happy Birthday Jen!

4 comments:

The Earnhardt Family said...

Kevin what a touching tribute to Jenny. Jenny, what a keeper!! Happy Birthday to you Jenny. I pray it is full of blessings.

Lexi and Linzi said...

Good work Kevin you made me cry:) You picked a wonderful man to be your husband Ms. Jenny!!!! I hope you had an awesome birthday!!!!
Love,
Melissa Sheridan

My name is Breanna... said...

Ok Kevin, I'm crying! Beautiful post and what a romantic and kind birthday gift! Glad God brought you two toghether!

tim hetland said...

Way to go Kevin. That was wonderful. What a special and unique way to recognize Jenny on her birthday.

-Sabrina