Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Eve in the ER

Well, after a really fun day of opening gifts from friends and extended family, hanging out with Kaitlin & Ian and the Goldens, going out for Christmas Eve dinner, then church service, I thought we our night was going to look relatively boring. All of the wrapping was mostly done, stockings needed to be stuffed, but that wasn't going to happen until the girls would finally calm done and drift off to sleep. Kaitlin and I were picking out what movie to watch, when all of a sudden there was hysterical screaming, the kind of screaming that makes your stomach drop and it's so loud you kinda just freeze cuz you're not sure what to do. I rushed into the girls' room and Kacia was on the ground- not crying, but just screaming that she hurt her arm really bad, that she broke her arm. I quickly picked her up and rushed her to the family room to inspect the injury. I'm quite used to my girls making big deals out of little injuries, but one quick feel of the arm and I told Kevin we had to go to the hospital. He ran and found the keys, and we rushed off to the hospital, pajamas and all! And rush is an understatement! I'm quite certain that my husband ran about 8 red lights as I sat in the back and tried to talk to Kacia about silly things, anything to try to distract her from the fact that her arm looked seriously distorted! I'm quite certain I will never forget the shocking way her arm felt in my hands as I so briefly examined it through her thick fleece pj's!
Well, our night in the ER, was a first for our family, we got there a little after 8, and I remember Kevin telling me Merry Christmas as we both watched the clock strike midnight. They had to sedate her to reset the arm, and they splinted it until the swelling goes down and she can get a more permanent cast this coming week. (She was pretty funny as she woke up, "you look like you have 4 eyes" then she'd drift back to sleep, wake up and say the same things over and over again!) The staff was so kind and they took great care of our little girl. I'm quite certain she was mostly in shock, because I've never seen her be so brave! From what we can gather from the story, she was leaning over her footboard trying to look down the hall to get a sneak peak at presents when she somehow fell and obviously landed really, really wrong.
We are trying to look at the good points of the story- it's her left arm, so she can still eat, draw and play wii, it's not a leg- so she can still walk, Kaitlin and Ian were here so Kevin and I were both able to rush off to the hospital without having to think about the other kiddos, it's Christmas break so these first few days of intense pain and needing assistance can be spent at home without missing out, it's winter so she doesn't have to miss out on water activities, etc. God is good, bones will heal and our little girl will most likely never try to sneak a peak at Christmas presents again!
(Kevin has pictures on his phone, I will try to post them when I get them)

No comments: