Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Memories

So I'm not a huge fan of Thanksgiving food, but it's really more about the holiday itself that I love. This morning I was showing my girls the parade on tv with the big balloons and telling them of how Auntie Bre and I used to watch this while Grandma Michele would look on from the kitchen, and all of a sudden I got a little nostalgic. So as I stood in my kitchen preparing food for later today, I started thinking of all of the things I associate with Thanksgiving and of all of the Thanksgivings that stand out the most to me. My mom was quite traditional in celebrating the holidays, and the older that I get the more I see how ingrained this is in me, as this year, with it just being the Goldens and us, we have the freedom to mix it up and go out of the box, but our menu consists of primarily the same dishes.

Here's my thoughts: Today I miss the Wednesday night pie social and service at church, my brothers coming home all muddy from football, celebrating with the Pieczonkas, and Tim & Sabrina, James & Samantha, and Kaitlin & Ian.
Here's the years that stick out: 1995- Breanna was so sick pregnant with the twins, she stayed upstairs all day on my parent's bed to escape the smells, but she insisted I sneak her up bites of mom's stuffing. I, being the "obedient one" was scared of getting in trouble- but she was quite convincing.
1998- My first Thanksgiving with Kevin's family in Redding. Little did I know that this town which decided to scare me with an earthquake that weekend, would be the town that would become my home and the place I would raise my children.
2001- Our last Thanksgiving with mom, too many thoughts to share.
2003- First Thanksgiving with baby Kacia, and fun game day with family and Zach & prego Megan
2005- Rylin was 2 days old and we hosted the day. I thought it would be easier that way, but I turned out to be an exhausted emotional mess. (But very thankful to no longer be pregnant!)

There's many more thoughts in this head of mine today, but the bread machine finally stopped mixing so it's time to form my last batch of rolls and get the stuffing in the oven- mom's recipe of course, afterall, we are going to Breanna's and I'm not sure she'd open the door if I brought a different one! :)
Today I am thankful for the ability to remember and reminisce. God didn't have to allow our minds the capability of remembering but He did, and today I am thankful for a head full of memories that make me smile and laugh, traditions I can teach my children, and the way I can look back and see God's gracious and kind Hands at work continually in my life. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: