Monday, February 23, 2009

"R" Queen

So Rylin is fascinated with letters. She always asks me, "How you write 'Mom'?" "How you write 'Kacia'?" And until recently, she was always content to just scribble something as I would say "M", then she'd say "what's next?" "O" and she would scribble something else. And so on. And then I realized that at her age, Kacia knew how to write her name, and maybe it was time to start working with her. She is quite independent and quite motivated. We bought her own book that has two lines to practice each letter, and then you just wipe it off, and practice again and again and again. Rylin wants to practice her letters constantly! She is starting to branch out from the letter "R" now but, the first day it was all about "R"! She has now perfected the letter "L" and "I" but "Y" is a little tricky. She'll practice it briefly and then move on to an easier one like "O". But I'm thrilled that she's so excited. She is also quite good at "reading" Kacia's home readers. Kacia will read the book through a couple of times and then Rylin will want to try. Most books she's quite good at, but as Kacia is advancing through the books, they are getting a little more challenging and little harder to quickly memorize. It is so much fun to watch your kids learn and love it! (Aunt Sabrina, you'd be proud! Maybe next time you come to visit, not only will Rylin sit through a book you read, but will also "read" one to you!)

3 comments:

The Earnhardt Family said...

Don't you just LOVE those wipe off books?!?!? We have like five of them now, the kids love them, it's SO nifty how you can just keep using them like new over and over and over again! The kids can switch, start over, so great!!!

Great job, R Queen!!! :-D

tim hetland said...

I am so proud of both of those smart girls. I am so excited to see them and to have them actually want to read with or to me. Tell them I am proud, I love them and I am looking forward to story time next time I see them.

Love you Jen

tim hetland said...

That comment was from Me..Sabrina. Even though Tim is proud too. =)