Saturday, August 01, 2009

So what do you do?



So awhile back Kevin and I ran into a friend from college. As we were catching up, the normal question arose "So what do you do?" As Kevin was talking about Real Estate, he looks to me and says, "So do you get to stay home with the kids?" When I replied yes and discussed the kids' ages, he just looked at me and said, "Wow! I just stayed with my sister and her kids, and your job at this point is really just to keep them alive, right?!" As I laughed and agreed, I appreciated the fact that someone could see that this "job" does not just consist of sitting on the couch and watching Oprah. Okay, rarely during the day do I sit on the couch and I haven't watched Oprah in years (maybe a little food network :), but that benefits the fam). But after his comment I began to think about what a "stay at home mom" or "homemaker" actually consists of. So this is the list I have come up with thus far, although it is definitely not complete...

personal chef, hairdresser, clothing stylist, maid, paramedic (emergencies), nurse (longer term), devotion leader, activity cooridinator, school teacher, referee, dental assistant, Tooth Fairy, Easter bunny, Santa Claus, personal shopper, receptionist & appointment scheduler, craft coordinator, bottom wiper, bath giver, taxi driver, and personal assistant to the husband.

I think somedays it would be far easier to go to work, but then I wouldn't be allowed to share in this rewarding position and responsiblity of shaping my kids' hearts and character to the same extent. Being a "stay at home mom" is an incredible gift and I wouldn't trade it for any career with less hours and greater pay! I'm grateful that for now, God has allowed me to stay home so that I can do the things I may not love like dishes, laundry and grocery shopping while being able to do them with and for the ones I love the most!

1 comment:

Lexi and Linzi said...

Jenny!!! You are so gifted! I couldn't agree with you more. I'm working from home part-time (though the girls are in school those days) but MAN!!! It's a lot harder than I thought it would be. You are an awesome roll model and I'm going to think about this a lot!!! :) Take care of yourself!