Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Sentimental Safeway Club Card

So you know how there are those things in life that you don't even realize you like until you are questioned about them? So I was in Safeway yesterday with all 3 kiddos, frantically picking up a few things before heading to a birthday party I was already late for, when I realized that I was attached to my Safeway clubcard. I have always used my mom's clubcard, and I always just punch in the old phone # without even really thinking about it. And I guess this time the # didn't register when I punched it, so the cashier asked me my #, I say it and he says "that's an invalid #" and I'm instantly puzzled then, he starts to repeat it back, "530.." "no 253..." "Oh, where is that area code?" to which I reply, "washington, it's my mom's" "well, do you want your own?" and I'm instantly struck by the fact, that no I don't want my own! I like the smile it brings to my face when I see her name printed at the bottom of the reciept, I like that the simple act of going to the grocery store reminds me of her, and yes, I know that it has been 7 years, but apparently I'm attached to my Safeway clubcard, or rather my mom's card! But how do you tell the checker all of these thoughts that are so rapidly going through my mind, so I reply "no thanks, not today, maybe sometime when I don't have all 3 kids with me." "totally understandable, thanks Miss Hetland, or rather, Miss Hetland's daughter." to which another smile is instantly brought to my face since I also like the fact that they always call me Miss Hetland, until they notice Burns from my debit card and they are confused every time, and every time I get a silent kick out of it! So there you have it, my attachment issues to a card I don't actually even have in my wallet, but a card I have no intentions of replacing any time soon, and the funny thing is, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Hetland still using it!

4 comments:

My name is Breanna... said...

I went to use it saturday, and the same thing happened....were you the one claiming all those discounts on gas? :):):)

I didn't even know you used it!!!! I've been using it for 7 years:)

Love ya

The Earnhardt Family said...

O.K. I am officially a really big emotional baby. I totally teared up reading this blog and your sister's response. I love that something as simple as a safeway card brings you both such joy and fond thoughts of your mom.

Michelle said...

I love it!!! Use it forever! :)

Judy Stein said...

I love this, too. I use my old Safeway card phone number from when I was married to Paul. When I leave they call me Mrs. Phelps which could, on some level, be weird since I'm married to someone else but....it's nice to remember him for a couple of minutes when I do my shopping...and I will probably use it until the number goes away.