Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Great Read

So it probably won't surprise anyone that I don't read as many books as I would like to these days. I figure if I have a few minutes to read, my Bible should come first. But last week I finished a great, but convicting book. This is the 2nd book of C.J. Mahaney's I have read (well he didn't write all of this book), but they always appeal to me because they are small, but well written. He gets his point across with as few as words as possible. And being that I typically read at night, when my mind is mush, I appreciate that I don't have to think too hard to understand. So if you want to be convicted, or rather, need to be convicted, read this! It's a good kick in the pants, a reminder that once again, this world isn't about us, but our Maker, and choosing to try to live with an eternal perspective, choosing to pursue godliness above all else.

"When we see our lives in light of what Jesus Christ accomplished on the cross, everything will be different. We won't be enamored of a fallen world that opposes God; it is for such a world that our Savoir died. Nor will we ignore the world, untouched by its God-glorifying potential or unmoved by its needs. Rather, we'll take our plaec in this world, enjoying God's gifts, fulfilling God's purposes and giving our lives to see the gospel proclaimed, sinners saved, and God glorified." Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World

2 comments:

My name is Breanna... said...

Just wanted to echo Jenny for anyone who reads this. This book has rerouted my entire way of thinking this week, and brought me to my knees as God's Word has pointed out to me the areas of my life that I am falling so short in. Convicting is an understantement. At least for me it was more like derailing the path I had slidden on too. Amazing book, because not too many people will take this kind of stand anymore.

Copper + Cream said...

I am currently reading this book and it is great! Can't wait to finish it. :)