Friday, February 29, 2008

Withdrawals

My name is Jenny. I am a coffeeholic. It has been 15 days since my last Starbucks (or any good, $4 coffee!).

So Kevin and I are trying something new. We are trying to live on a budget. This may be surprising but in our nearly 9 years of marriage, this is something we have never done, at least not successfully. But it is time. With Kevin being self employed, living on a typical budget, based on percentages and what not does not work for us. There is no predictable, dependable income, so this has been the excuse we have used. But we know that it is time we get smart, value money, and make wise choices with what God gives us. So, for now that means cutting out unnecessary purchases so we can determine how much money we need to spend each month vs. how much money we actually spend. So since I have both coffee and creamer in my house, getting myself a "treat" when I am out running around would fall into the unnecessary category. However, for those of you who do not live in Redding, you need to understand that in our "small" town there are atleast 7 Starbucks, 4 maybe 5 Dutch Bros., and numerous other coffee drive thrus that are constantly calling my name. So although my withdrawals are strong today, my desire to really glorify God in this aspect of our lives is even stronger. I am really excited to see how God is going to change us as we learn this new and difficult discipline. But have patience with me, and I am warning you that if you bring a white cup with a little green circle logo on it around me not to turn your back, because you may end up with an empty cup!

No comments: